Monday, August 13, 2012

Spicy Beef and Sausage Ravioli with Roasted Tomato Onion and Garlic Marinara

Spicy Beef and Sausage Ravioli with Roasted Tomato Onion and Garlic Marinara


Within my first month of food blogging I went looking for a chicken parmesan recipe after I saw an advertisement while I was channel surfing one evening. I don't remember what the ad was trying to sell, but I remember it noting chicken parmesan. I ate the dish a few times during my trip to the Philippines to meet my wife's family and I immediately wanted to replicate the dish. I found a recipe from Pam of For the Love of Cooking that used a marinara sauce from scratch, but it required some equipment I didn't have at the time (an immersion blender and a Dutch oven), so I used store bought sauce.

With time, these issues have resolved themselves so I wanted to return to this recipe, in part, because I felt the original was incomplete without it. This also represented a perfect opportunity to show my appreciation for Kaitlin of I Can Cook That and use an item I won in the giveaway she hosted.

The Challenge

Successfully prepare the second half of a dish I cooked previously.

The Source

I used store-bought ravioli, but the sauce is adapted from For the Love of Cooking.

Ingredients

5-6 tomatoes (fresh from the garden if you can)
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced into chunks
5-6 cloves of garlic
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of crushed red pepper (or more)
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Dried oregano, to taste
fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Parmesan cheese
1 package Buitoni Spicy Beef & Sausage Ravioli (or any other desired pasta)


Method

1. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit and heat a large pot of water to a boil. Score the tomatoes by removing the stems, then gently cut an X on the bottom of the tomatoes. Blanch the tomatoes by adding them to the boiling water for 10-15 seconds. Remove from water and immediately put into an ice bath to stop any carryover cooking. Once the tomatoes have cooled, gently peel off the skin.

Scored Tomatoes

Blanching Tomatoes

Shocking Tomatoes in Ice Bath

2. Halve the tomatoes and put on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Arrange the onion chunks around the tomatoes. Put the garlic cloves inside the tomato halves so the tomatoes will help prevent the garlic from burning and infuses the tomato with the roasted garlic flavor. Season the tomatoes, garlic and onions with the dried basil, oregano, Kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until the tomatoes, onions and garlic are tender, sweet and juicy. Do not over cook them because the tomatoes will dry up.

About to be Roasted

3. Remove the roasted tomatoes and onions from the oven and put in a large Dutch Oven with the crushed tomatoes and pureé with an immersion blender. Taste and re-season with sugar (if desired), basil, oregano, salt or pepper, if needed. Cover with a lid and simmer for 2 to 4 hours

Roasted Vegetables about to be Pureéd

Simmering

4. During the last 30 minutes, bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Drop your pasta in the water and cook until 1 minute less than the box suggests, reserving 1 cup pf pasta water. Drain the pasta in a colander and place in a large saute pan over medium low heat. Add spoonfuls of the marinara and toss to coat. Thin out the sauce with the reserved pasta water if necessary. Garnish with parmesan and fresh basil. Serve immediately.

Ravioli Boiling

Successful?

The specific flavor of ravioli was a request by my wife. While I don't think I'd eat this specific ravioli filling again, the extra work with the sauce was definitely worth it, when compared to Michael Chiarello's recipe.

Lastly, I wanted to note here that I normally don't advocate the use of dried herbs but in the case roasting vegetables in step 2, fresh herbs would burn so this is an exception.

20 comments:

  1. wow Could I borrow some of your sauce for my boring dinner pasta? Looks droolworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sauce is a work of art and the entire dish is calling my name for dinner tonight! Too bad I have to eat lighter this week after my big splurge eating spree in New York this past weekend,lol! I'll pin this recipe for later, thanks for inspiring;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I could use a plate... okay a plate? I am just being modest. I can eat up a few plates of these. The sound of the dish is enough to make me drool FS! I really am dying to cook, but my mom has been hogging the kitchen. Must make some soon. Gotta start looking out for long weekends. Thanks for coming over, I truly appreciate the support! xoxo, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,Looks so delicious the garlic marinara sound very tasty on the ravioly dish YUM :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with this sauce! I am enjoying your new look as well - great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum looks, the homemade sauce is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! Finally able to comment. Both my wordpress accounts don't work when I try and comment for some reason. Anyways...
    Nothing smells better than roasting tomatoes, garlic, and onions. I wish I had a batch bubbling away right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I love any Italian dish-and this looks beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried a cheese ravioli once and did not care for it as much as I thought I would. But your sauce is seriously impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing. I can imagined how wonderful your kitchen smelled as you made this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks like a seriously delicious meal! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ravioli are just gorgeous! I have yet to get mine to ever look this consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Taking the time to roast the tomatoes and onions must make for an exceptional marinara! Perfect over any pasta.

    PS...I don't eat very much of what I bake...LOL...if I ate it all, I'd be as big as a house :) Usually it's one sliver of cake...or one cookie from a batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see. That's your secret. I'm not sure I'd have the restraint.

      Delete
  14. Hi DB,
    Your new site look great:) As does this ravioli. Ravioli is my hubby's favorite so I need to make this for him. Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that sauce sounds incredibly flavorful... roasting the tomatoes, onions, and garlic that way is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks successful to me. It was such a pleasure meeting you today. Looking forward to another event. Come labor day I will make a bunch off sauce and can it for the winter that way I don't have to make it every time. Hope you have a great rest of the week.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi DB! Ohhhh your site got new look! Looks great! My kids love ravioli. Your sauce looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I am super impressed with this recipe!! :) Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love spice, so I really appreciate this easy tasty recipe, a week ago went to Continental Treat Fine Bistro, and i had their steak preparation, and ale with it, simply bringing water to my mouth going through your this spicy beef,i myself sometimes brown in a pan over medium high heat when the weather isn't grill friendly and the results are not so good after all me a novice cook but some wine is best for it.

    ctfinebistro.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcomed. If you're going to be critical, be constructive. In other words, be nice.